The production of crockery in Wilhelmsburg started at the end of 18th century. A few years later production started at the property of the "Winckhlmill in der Lödergassen". The scale of production increased after 1883 when the Imperial and Royal Wilhelmsburg Stoneware and Porcelain Factory (k.u.k. privilegierte Wilhelmsburger Steingut- und Porzellanfabrik) was acquired by Heinrich Lichtenstern from Vienna. In 1885 management of the factory was taken over by Richard Heinrich's son.
Lichtensterns since 1909 also owned a earthenware factory in Znoim (Czech Znojmo) and some years later they also acquired the stoneware factory "Brüder Urbach" located in Turn-Teplitz (Bohemia). For some time these factories operated as Triptis AG.
Fall of the Austro-Hungarian empire caused loss of the existing sales markets. The Wilhelmsburg factory had to concentrate on export. In early 1920s they started production of sanitary ware but after a few years the Great Depression started. Despite the difficulties, in 1934 they managed to start porcelain crockery production.
March 12, 1938, German troops annexed Austria for the Third Reich. Lichtensterns who were Jewish had to leave the country. Starting in 1938 until 1945 Wilhelmburg factory was a part of Ostmark Keramik AG.
Production was resumed shortly after the end of the war but prewar owners were able to return only in 1955. Since 1950 production was more and more concentrated on porcelain items. In 1969 production of earthenware was completely stopped.
In the mid-1950s, the Wilhelmsburger Porzellan brand was introduced for industrial porcelain.
The commercial porcelain as well as the Wilhelmsburg stoneware continued to be produced in parallel for a few years after the appearance of Lilien porcelain, but were discontinued over time.
In 1950s the Wilhelmsburger Porzellan brand for technical porcelain was introduced. Production of other porcelain types was discontinued over time.